From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1982-11-12 : Alexis Arguello 138½ lbs lost to Aaron Pryor 140 lbs by TKO at 1:06 in round 14 of 15
- WBA Light Welterweight Title
- Time: 1:06
- Pryor had signed to face Sugar Ray Leonard in the fall of 1982 for the Undisputed World Welterweight Championship, but Leonard suffered a detached retina and retired, paving the way for Pryor vs. Arguello.
- Arguello was attempting become the first boxer to win titles in four different weight divisions.
- Arguello was a 12-5 favorite.
- Pryor's purse was $1.6 million, while Arguello's was $1.5 million.
- Arguello suffered a cut over his left eye in round six.
- The infamous "black bottle" fight, in which Pryor's trainer, Panama Lewis, was recorded after the 13th round asking for a bottle of liquid, "the one I mixed", to be given to Pryor before the 14th round. Adding to the controversy, the Miami Boxing Commission failed to administer a post-fight urine test.
- Ranked #8 in The 100 Greatest Title Fights of All-Time by Ring Magazine in 1996.