Adrian Diaconu vs. Jean Pascal (1st meeting)
2009-06-19 : Adrian Diaconu 173¼ lbs lost to Jean Pascal 174¼ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Referee: Marlon Wright
- Judge: John Keane 112-116
- Judge: Jack Woodburn 111-116
- Judge: Max DeLuca 112-115
- Adrian Diaconu 26-0 (15 KOs); Jean Pascal 22-1 (15 KOs) going into this fight.
- Diaconu entered as the # 8 light heavyweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Pascal, an even-money underdog, was unranked by the same publication.
- For Diaconu, it was his 11th professional bout to be held at The Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec. For Pascal, also a resident of Quebec, it was his 3rd appearance at the venue.
- Diaconu sustained a cut under the right eye in round seven and sported a puff under the left eye by round nine.
- Pascal scored a knockdown in round five with a left hook to the head. A second knockdown from a right-left-right to the head, was ruled a slip.
- Versus blows: Pascal 193/540 36%, Diaconu 153/501 31%.
"My game plan was to dance and use my footwork because I’m faster than him and smarter than him. I knew he would get tired later on in the fight. I think my gas tank was running low at the end but I did my best and I threw some bombs. At the end I was exhausted but happy with the way I fought. I knew that when he got tired I’d have the advantage and that is why I’m the new champion!" - Jean Pascal in his post-fight interview