Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo
Revision as of 18:57, 21 July 2012 by Sweetscientist
2012-07-21 : Adrien Broner 133½ lbs beat Vicente Escobedo 130 lbs by TKO at 2:45 in round 5 of 12
- Location: U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- Referee: Gary Rosato
- Judge: Robert Hecko
- Judge: Gary Merritt
- Judge: Tom Miller
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- World Boxing Organization Super Featherweight Title (Only at stake for Escobedo)
- Adrien Broner 23-0 (19 KOs) vs. Vicente Escobedo 26-3 (15 KOs)
- Broner entered as the # 3 junior lightweight contender according to The Ring Magazine. Escobedo, a 9.5 to 1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.
- Broner initially weighed in at three and a half pounds over the 130-pound limit and was subsequently stripped of the WBO Super Featherweight Title.
- The bout was temporarily called off on the day of the fight after Broner weighed in at 143 lbs., 13 lbs. above the Super Featherweight division's limit. Broner was already fined 20 percent -- $60,000 -- of his $300,000 purse by the Ohio commission for missing weight Friday. Half goes to the commission and the other half goes to Escobedo, boosting his purse from $150,000 to $180,000. Although the figure was not been disclosed, a source with knowledge of the negotiation said Escobedo will receive more than an extra $50,000 on top of the $180,000 he already is due.
- "I'm young. I'm 22. I'm still growing. I just feel like it's time for me to go up. After this fight, there really wouldn't be a reason for me to stay. I'm just going to go up and give the lightweights hell." - Adrien Broner after failing to make weight.