Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo
2012-07-21 : Adrien Broner 133½ lbs beat Vicente Escobedo 130 lbs by TKO at 2:45 in round 5 of 12
- Location: U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- Referee: Gary Rosato
- Judge: Robert Hecko
- Judge: Gary Merritt
- Judge: Tom Miller
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- World Boxing Organization Super Featherweight Title (Only at stake for Escobedo)
Despite losing his world title on the scales and after a day of questions as to whether the fight would actually take place, undefeated Adrien Broner won his 24th fight in convincing form by displaying a significant speed advantage, winning every round, and forcing a stoppage in the fifth.
Broner hurt Escobedo in the second and bloodied his nose in third. He dominated the fifth, opened a small cut to his opponent's right eye, and after landing numerous heavy shots with nothing in return the referee stepped in and waved an end to the bout. Escobedo's corner attempted to stop the fight sooner, but the referee had his back to the corner and did not notice them standing on the apron and waving the towel.
- Adrien Broner 23-0 (19 KOs) vs. Vicente Escobedo 26-3 (15 KOs)
- Broner entered as the # 3 junior lightweight contender according to The Ring Magazine. Escobedo, a 9.5 to 1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.
- Broner initially weighed in at three and a half pounds over the 130-pound limit and was subsequently stripped of the WBO Super Featherweight Title.
- The bout was temporarily called off on the day of the fight after Broner weighed in at 143 lbs., 13 lbs. above the Super Featherweight division's limit. Broner was already fined 20 percent -- $60,000 -- of his $300,000 purse by the Ohio commission for missing weight Friday. Half goes to the commission and the other half goes to Escobedo, boosting his purse from $150,000 to $180,000. Although the figure was not been disclosed, a source with knowledge of the negotiation said Escobedo will receive more than an extra $50,000 on top of the $180,000 he already is due.
- On the night of fight Broner weighed 147 and Escobedo 142.
- "I'm young. I'm 22. I'm still growing. I just feel like it's time for me to go up. After this fight, there really wouldn't be a reason for me to stay. I'm just going to go up and give the lightweights hell." - Adrien Broner after failing to make weight.