From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2011-12-10 : Amir Khan 139 lbs lost to Lamont Peterson 140 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
Lamont Peterson Versus Amir Khan, WBA and IBF World Light Welterweight CHampionship
- Khan took the early points lead when he knocked down Peterson on the ropes with a left hook in the first round for a 10-8 round
- Khan incurred point deductions in rounds seven and twelve for excessive pushing, costing him the fight
- Without the point deduction in the twelfth and final round, Khan would have won a unanimous decision 115-111, 113-112, 113-112
- Even with the point deductions by referee Joseph Cooper, many of the press at ringside saw the close bout as a 113-113 draw.
- Peterson wins Khan's WBA and IBF Light Welterweight titles, earning a possible lucrative chance in mid-2012 against Floyd Mayweather
- Khan appeared to win rounds 1, 2, 5, 6, and 9, Peterson appeared to win rounds 3, 7 (10-8), and the all important 11th and 12th (10-8) rounds. Rounds 4 and 10 appeared close.
- Khan dominated the rounds he won with his jab, while Peterson threw and landed more effective body shots when he pinned Khan along the ropes throughout the contest
- Peterson defeats Khan, the Boxrec # 2 ranked Light Welterweight in the world, to rise in the rankings. Peterson's sole loss was a decision to Boxrec # 1 Timothy Bradley