Amir Khan vs. Lamont Peterson
2011-12-10 : Amir Khan 139 lbs lost to Lamont Peterson 140 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Convention Center, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
- Referee: Joseph Cooper
- Judge: Nelson Vazquez 115-110
- Judge: George Hill 112-113
- Judge: Valerie Dorsett 112-113
- Khan's 6th Defence of his WBA belt (won by beating Kotelnik), 1st Defence of his IBF belt (that he won against Judah)
- Khan took the early points lead when he knocked down Peterson on the ropes with a left hook in the first round for a 10-8 round
- Khan incurred point deductions in rounds seven and twelve for excessive pushing, costing him the fight
- Without the point deduction in the twelfth and final round, the fight would have been scored a draw: 116-110, 113-113, 113-113, without either point deduction khan would have come away the winner via unanimous decision
- Even with the point deductions by referee Joseph Cooper, many of the press at ringside saw the close bout as a 113-113 draw.
- Peterson wins Khan's WBA and IBF Light Welterweight titles, earning a possible lucrative chance in mid-2012 against Floyd Mayweather
- Khan appeared to win rounds 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 and 10 Peterson appeared to win rounds 3, 7 (10-8), 8 and the important 11th. Rounds 4 and 10 appeared close.
- Khan dominated the rounds he won with his jab, while Peterson threw and landed more effective body shots when he pinned Khan along the ropes throughout the contest
- Peterson defeats Khan, the Boxrec # 2 ranked Light Welterweight in the world, to rise in the rankings. Peterson's sole loss was a decision to Boxrec # 1 Timothy Bradley
- Billed by promoter Oscar De La Hoya as the 'Capital Showdown'. On staging this Golden Boy Promotion on HBO in Washington D.C., De La Hoya stated "We will be (coming) back to D.C."
- Peterson versus Khan press conference clip on Youtube []
Lamont Peterson was tested positive for synthetic testosterone after both fighters agreed to random testing before their 19 May light-welterweight rematch in Las Vegas.
Lamont Peterson Stated that he did the procedure in November, before the first fight, meaning he had illegal substance in his body during the first bout between the two