Andy Kendall

From BoxRec
Revision as of 09:27, 1 March 2011 by Dan (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Name: Andy Kendall
Alias: Scappoose Express
Birth Name: Andrew Pierce
Born: 1938-09-05
Birthplace: Burns, Oregon, USA
Died: 2015-01-31 (Age:76)
Hometown: Portland, Oregon, USA
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5′ 10″   /   178cm
Boxing Record: click

Manager: Mike Morton
Trainer: Jack Brackey
Andy Kendall was a highly-rated Light Heavyweight contender during the late 1960s and early '70s. He was The Ring magazine's "Middleweight Prospect of the Month," January 1963. He was a ranked contender from June 1969 until January 1973. His highest rating was #1.

He was born on an Indian reservation in Burns, Oregon, the third of five children to Ruth and James Pierce. Ruth was a full-blooded Seminole Indian from Florida, and James was a first grade teacher on the reservation. His father dies at age 66 of a heart condition. His mother dies when Kendall was 12 from a post-surgery (appendicitis) infection of the heart. The Pierce children were split up and sent to various foster homes. Andy went to Prairie City, Oregon, to the home of Frank and Genevieve Kendall. Frank adopted Andy and Andy took his surname.

Kendall enlisted in the United States Marines when he joined the Camp Pendleton boxing team. For the remainder of his four-year hitch, he participated in inter-service competition, compiling a 18-1 record. Upon his honorable discharge, he had two amateur bouts: losing to Sylvester Carter and stopping Mickey Keller. He then turned pro. After his bout with Carl (Bobo) Olson he was diagnosed with hepatitis. He also developed a bad knuckle. And his marriage crumbled.

After his bout with Dick Gosha, his wife left him, taking their two children to Virginia. Kendall traveled to Virginia, apparently full of anger and alcohol. When he got there, his father-in-law stopped him from entering the residence with a shotgun blast that left Kendall on the operating table for eight hours.

Kendall recovered and returned to Oregon, where he resumed his boxing career. He later went to work for the Landstom Cement Company for 28 years. He did volunteer work for troubled kids for 18 years. As of 2009, he lives in Gales Creek, Oregon, with his wife of 20 years, Bobbie.

Source: IBRO Journal Issue No. 101, pp. 30-36: [1].