Antonio Tarver vs. Bernard Hopkins
Revision as of 02:20, 26 March 2013 by Slugger
2006-06-10 : Antonio Tarver 174 lbs lost to Bernard Hopkins 174 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr.
- Judge: John Coyle 109-118
- Judge: Clark Sammartino 109-118
- Judge: Al Bennett 109-118
- International Boxing Organization Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
- National Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
- Promoters: Golden Boy Promotions, Star Boxing
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)
- Tarver was a 3 to 1 favorite.
- Hopkins was guaranteed $5 million and Tarver was guaranteed $3.5 million.
- Tarver had to lose more than 40 pounds to get down to 175 after playing the fictional heavyweight champion in the film Rocky Balboa.
- There was a crowd of 10,200 at Boardwalk Hall.
- Tarver was ruled down in round five when his left glove supposedly touched the canvas after a Hopkins right. However, a video replay proved inconclusive as to whether or not the glove actually touched.
- Tarver lost a $250,000 bet with Hopkins after he failed to stop him within five rounds. The money went to Hopkins' Make A Way Foundation.
- Tarver's right eye was nearly swollen shut.
- Hopkins won The Ring Magazine World Light Heavyweight Title.
- The fight generated 330,000 pay-per-view buys and $16.5 million in pay-per-view revenue.
- Tarver later said he thought he might have been drugged before the fight.
- Unofficial ESPN Scorecard: 118-109 Hopkins.