Arturo Gatti vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2005-06-25 : Arturo Gatti 140 lbs lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr 139 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Earl Morton
- Judge: Luis Rivera 52-60
- Judge: John Stewart 53-60
- Judge: Dave Moretti 52-60
- World Boxing Council Super Lightweight Title (3rd defense of Gatti)
- Time: 3:00
- Weights: Gatti 140 lbs, Mayweather 139 lbs
- Promoter: Main Events
- Doctors: Howard Taylor, Marc Shaber, Domenic Coletta
- This bout had been in the making for over a year and a half. Gatti and Mayweather were both stars in thier respective weight divisions and after Gatti won the WBC title in January of 2004 Mayweather was the WBC #1 ranked contender.
- Gatti had requested several voluntary defenses from the WBC before finally agreeing to fight Floyd Mayweather.
- The fight between the two fighters was billed as a superfight.
- It would be the first time that Floyd mayweather headlined a PPV event. Before the fight there was plenty of trash talk between the two fighters and Floyd had repeatedly referred to gatti as a "C" fighter.
- When it came to fight time, Mayweather's handspeed was simply overwhelming as he landed three and four punch combinations at will.
- Gatti was down in the first round and Gatti took a one-sided beating for six rounds before his cornerman, Buddy McGirt, decided to stop it after the 6th round.