Bernard Hopkins vs. Glen Johnson
1997-07-20 : Bernard Hopkins 160 lbs beat Glen Johnson 159¾ lbs by TKO at 1:23 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Fantasy Springs Casino, Indio, California, USA
- Referee: Pat Russell
- Judge: Fritz Werner 100-90
- Judge: Jon Schorle 100-90
- Judge: Larry Rozadilla 100-90
- Aired On: CBS
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (Hopkins' 5th defense)
Bernard Hopkins successfully defended his IBF Middleweight Title against undefeated Glen Johnson by scoring a stoppage in the 11th round.
Hopkins hurt Johnson midway through the second round and again in the fifth, when he picked apart the challenger with uppercuts. In the second half of the fight, Hopkins outworked Johnson and landed crisply, at times, battering his opponent with shots to the head against a defensive Johnson, who was bleeding from the mouth and had developed significant swelling to his right eye.
In the eleventh, Hopkins connected early with body shots and closed with a flurry of punches to the head that caused the referee to step in and wave an end to the bout.
- Bernard Hopkins 31-2-1 (23 KOs) vs. Glen Johnson 32-0 (22 KOs)
- It was the only knockout loss of Johnson's 19-year professional career.
- Neither man was knocked down in the bout.
- "The toughest fight I have had was against Bernard Hopkins at middleweight. When I fought him, I didn't have the experience that I have now to deal with that level of fighting. I can say that I was taken to school by Hopkins and he was the only person to ever have a run away win against me in my career. That was my toughest fight so far." - Glen Johnson in a 2009 interview with Doghouse Boxing
Source: Benz, Johnny. "Glen Johnson speaks out on Bernard Hopkins" (2009, June 3) www.doghouseboxing.com Article
Hopkins vs. Jackson
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Hopkins vs. Council