Bernard Hopkins vs. Segundo Mercado (1st meeting)
Revision as of 18:34, 7 July 2011 by Fasan
1994-12-17 : Bernard Hopkins 157 lbs drew with Segundo Mercado 158 lbs by PTS in round 12 of 12
- Location: Ruminahui Coliseum, Quito, Ecuador
- Referee: Sam Williams
- Judge: Al DeVito 114-111
- Judge: Paul Gibbs 113-113
- Judge: Francisco Hernandez 114-116
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (Vacant title)
- Weights: Hopkins 157 lbs, Mercado 158 lbs
- Fought in a bull ring.
- Hopkins down in the fifth. After being dazed by a right hand, the fighters clinched. While clinched, Mercado landed a right uppercut that caused Hopkins to stumble backwards into the ropes landing on the seat of his pants.
- Hopkins down in the seventh as a result of a left hook. Hopkins tumbles into the ropes head first on his way down.
- Mercado was the first boxer to knock Hopkins down in a professional bout.
- IBF ranked Hopkins at #1 and Mercado #2.
Jones Jr vs. Tate
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Hopkins vs. Mecado II