Bernard Hopkins vs. Syd Vanderpool
2000-05-13 : Bernard Hopkins 158½ lbs beat Syd Vanderpool 160 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Referee: Bill Paige
- Judge: Fred Jones 118-110
- Judge: George Hill 118-109
- Judge: Harry Davis 116-112
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (Hopkins' 11th defense)
- Weights: Hopkins 158.5 lbs, Vanderpool 160 lbs
Aired on HBO
- The referee mistakes the ten second warning for the final bell, jumping in to separate the fighters as Hopkins has Vanderpool almost out against the ropes.
- Brian Barbosa was originally scheduled to fight, but was removed by HBO 6 weeks prior to fight night due to facial cuts suffered during a March 25th bout.
- Winky Wright was then offered the fight, but declined. Stating he needed more time to prepare.
- Vanderpool, although campaigning at Super Middleweight, takes the fight. Stating he was already in training.
- Vanderpool was ranked #3 IBF and #2 WBO Super Middleweight contender.
Hopkins vs. Echols I
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Hopkins vs. Echols II