Inaugurated in Year 2000 with a database of 20,000 bouts, BoxRec.com (Boxing Records Archive) has grown by leaps and bounds, with over a million bouts entered by 2005. Its volunteer Editors scour magazines, record books, scrapbooks, and newspaper microfilm, attend boxing shows, and maintain contact with various boxing commissions throughout the world, to continually add old and new bouts. Its Editors are located in Europe; North, Central and South America; Australia; Asia; Africa; and elsewhere. Presently they insert an average of 3,000 "new" entries each week into the BoxRec database.
But unlike boxing record sources of the past, BoxRec.com actually cites the exact venues, referees, judges, official weights, knockout times, promoters, and anecdotes of many bouts.
The BoxRec database does not include amateur, bare-knuckle (pre-Marquis of Queensbury Rules) or exhibition bouts, although such matches might be mentioned in the boxer's BoxRec Wikipedia biography.
The Association of Boxing Commissions dictates that "Official Boxer Records" be based solely upon the “official commission results” of the host state. Thus, for recent bouts, BoxRec attempts to rely exclusively upon such commission results whenever possible.
The BoxRec database is searchable by:
- Date: Learn all known bouts that occurred on a particular date, often-times including entire historical cards.
- Managers: A list of active managers and their clients.
- Match: By division and nationality
- Name: Search for any boxer to learn his/her record to date. You can click on his/her opponent's name to immediately go to that person's record; or click on the date of any bout in the record to see what others were fought on that day.
- Officials: Judges & Referees (Current & Old-Timers)
- Promoters: Current & Old-Timers
- Ratings: BoxRec Ratings are computer-generated and re-calculated daily, integrating the new bouts inserted by the Editors into the database during the previous 24 hours. (How those ratings are calculated can be found here.)
- Results: Boxing results from the past week.
- Schedule: Learn what fights are up-coming.
- State: Discover all bouts in the database for any American state, by year.
- Title: Find championship matches--by commission or country, and division.
- If you see this http://www.boxrec.com/images/book-closed.gif when visiting a BoxRec boxer's record, immediately below his profile, this means that nothing has been entered so far into his "Wiki" biography.
- But if you see this http://www.boxrec.com/images/book-open.gif, click on it to learn more about this person.
- If you see this http://www.boxrec.com/images/book-closed.gif when visiting a BoxRec boxer's record, to the far right of the bout, this means that nothing has been entered so far about that fight.
- But if you see this http://www.boxrec.com/images/book-open.gif, to the far right of a bout, click on it to learn more about that fight. It will lead you back to this Wikipedia. (This feature is sometimes turned "off" to lessen the load on the BoxRec server.)
- See also, BoxRec Ratings Description: Explains how the Current and All-Time Ratings are calculated (these are for entertainment purposes only)
- BoxRec's Annual Ratings: BoxRec uses its computer calculations to list the top-rated boxers annually from the 1920s to the present.
- BoxRec Fight Record Codes: Explains how to read the code and shorthand found in the database's fight records.
- To become a fellow volunteer Editor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit also the BoxRec Message Forum
- BoxRec.com: Home Page