Brandon Rios vs. Richar Abril
2012-04-14 : Brandon Rios 137 lbs beat Richar Abril 135 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino, Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Vic Drakulich
- Judge: Jerry Roth 116-112
- Judge: Glenn Trowbridge 115-113
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 111-117
- Brandon Rios 29-0-1 (22 KOs) vs. Richard Abril 17-2-1 (8 KOs)
- Rios entered as the # 2 lightweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Abril, a 5/1 betting underdog, was ranked # 10 by the same publication.  
- For the second consecutive fight, Rios failed to make the 135-pound limit. He weighed in at 137 lbs. and was given an hour to lose the weight. He returned to the scales at 139 lbs. The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined him $45,000. Half that amount went to the commission, and the other half will go to Abril. Rios too agreed to pay Abril an undisclosed amount so he would go through with the fight at a weight disadvantage. 
- Abril's purse was $100,000, plus he received $22,500 from the fine and the additional payment from Rios. The winner also received a $50,000 bonus.
- Rios was originally scheduled to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa, who failed to make promotional appearances for the fight and pulled out saying he was unhappy with his $1.1 million purse. Top Rank and Bob Arum countered by filing a lawsuit against Gamboa and selected Abril as the replacement. 
- Attendance was 3,705.
Both men landed some decent shots in the opening round as Abril moved around andlooked to work with straight shots from a distance. Rios came forward and threw combinations on the inside. Abril was warned for using his forearm in a clinch. Abril was again warned in Round 2 for using his forearm in a clinch as he tried to tie up Rios when in close. Rios likely earned the round landing cleaner power punches. Rios snapped back the head of Abril in Round 3 with an uppercut and seemed to take the round with aggression. Rios was warned in Round 4 for a kidney punch.