Chad Dawson vs. Glen Johnson (1st meeting)
Revision as of 12:38, 8 June 2010 by Emaster
2008-04-12 : Chad Dawson 173¾ lbs beat Glen Johnson 172½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: St. Pete Times Forum, Tampa, Florida, USA
- Referee: Tommy Kimmons
- Judge: Nicolas Hidalgo 116-112
- Judge: Peter Trematerra 116-112
- Judge: Jack Woodburn 116-112
- World Boxing Council Light Heavyweight Title (Dawson's 3rd defense)
- Promoter: Gary Shaw
- Aired on: Showtime Championship Boxing
- Dawson dominated the early rounds with his hand speed, high punch output and flashy combinations from the outside but the toughness and experience of Johnson showed in the middle rounds as he worked his way in close and landed clubbing rights off Dawson's head. Dawson bounced back in rounds seven, eight and nine by getting off first from a distance and using his footwork to keep Johnson at bay, but Johnson caught up to Dawson in the championship rounds, beating Dawson up in the tenth round and out-working Dawson in the eleventh and twelfth rounds. In the end, Dawson won by a close unanimous decision.
- Blows: Dawson 319/802 40%; Johnson 243/683 36%.