Name: Charley Burley
Birth Name: Charles Duane Burley
Birthplace: Bessemer, Pennsylvania, USA
Died: 1992-10-16 (Age:75)
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Height: 5′ 9″ / 175cm
Reach: 75″ / 191cm
Boxing Record: click
Manager: Tommy O'Laughlin (1942)
Photo #2, Photo #3
- Burley fought a scheduled eight-round exhibition on October 18, 1949 against Jack Burns of Reno, Nevada. Burley, weighing 158, knocked out the 198-pound Burns in the 4th round.
- Burley fought two exhibitions on October 21, 1949 in Council Bluffs, Iowa:
- KO 3 Jack Brennan of Kansas City
- KO 1 George Hayes of Creston
- The Brennan and Hayes bouts were part of a barnstorming trip in which fighters were offered a purse to go the distance with Burley.
- Made the final of the National AAU at welterweight in 1936.
Honors & Recognition
- Inducted into the Ring Magazine's Boxing Hall of Fame in 1983.
- Inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1987.
- Inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992
- Ranked 39th on The Ring's list of The 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years (2002).
- Ranked 86th on The Ring's list of The 100 Greatest Punchers of All-Time (2003).
- Ranked 6th on The Ring's list of The Greatest Middleweights of All-Time (2004).