Chris John vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
Revision as of 17:49, 20 February 2006 by Matt
2006-03-04 : Chris John 125 lbs beat Juan Manuel Marquez 125 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Karang Melenu Sports Hall, Tenggarong, Kutai Kartanegara, Indonesia
- Referee: Guillermo Perez Pineda
- Judge: Oscar Perez Carbonell 116-110
- Judge: Takeshi Shimakawa 117-111
- Judge: Pinit Prayadsab 116-112
- This is the second mandatory fight for Chris John.
- The IBF decided to strip JM Marquez's IBF belt, after no promoter bid for the IBF mandatory title fight Marquez vs Farakorb Rakkietgym (August 2005).
- The IBF's decision influenced the WBA to revoke Marquez's status as the super champion, and soon instructing John as the regular champion to fight Marquez in a mandatory bout.
- The WBA conducted a purse bid for John vs Marquez, September 2005. The only bidder MTM Promotions won the purse bid with the minimum bid of US$ 125,001.
- MTM Promotions sold the right of the fight to the Indonesian promoter Muhammad Arsyad, enabling the fight to be featured in Indonesia.
- March 4, 2006 becomes the final date of the fight after twice postponments of the initial schedules on December 9, 2005 and February 4, 2006 due to John's ankle ligament injury.