Clemente Russo (born July 27, 1982 in Marcianise, Italy) is an Italian amateur boxer best known for winning a silver medal in the heavyweight class at the 2008 Beijing Olympic games. Russo also won a gold at the 2007 World Amateur Boxing Championships in the heavyweight division.
At the Olympics in 2004 Russo, who works as a policeman and who hails from Campania, campaigned at light heavyweight. After a first round bye, he ran right into eventual winner Andre Ward from the USA and was eliminated early on a 17-9 decision..
He moved up to the 201 lbs limit and exited early at the world championships 2005 and the European championships 2006.
In 2007 at the World Championships he easily beat Englishman Daniel Price, 2005 medalist Alexander Povernov (PTS 17:5) and won the quarterfinals against Milorad Gajovic (Montenegro) to qualify for Beijing. He beat Chinese Yushan Nijiati to reach the finals where he edged out Russian top favorite Rakhim Chakhkeiv 7:6.
World Amateur championships results
2003 (as a light heavyweight)
2005 (as a heavyweight)
- Lost to Jasur Matchanov (Uzbekistan) 13-16
2007 (as a heavyweight)
- Defeated Danny Price (England) 14-5
- Defeated Lukas Viktora (Czech Republic) 17-6
- Defeated Alexander Povernov (Germany) 17-5
- Defeated Milorad Gajovic (Montenegro) 15-3
- Defeated Yushan Nijiati (China) 19-11
- Defeated Rakhim Chakhiyev (Russia) 7-6
2009 (as a heavyweight)
- Defeated Julio Castillo (Ecuador) 16-1
- Defeated Vasiliy Levit (Kazakhstan) 14-4
- Lost to Egor Mekhontsev (Russia) 5-7
2004 (as a light heavyweight)
- Lost to Andre Ward (United States) 9-17
2008 (as a heavyweight)
- Defeated Viktar Zuyev (Belarus) 7-1
- Defeated Oleksandr Usyk (Ukraine) 7-4
- Defeated Deontay Wilder (United States) 7-1
- Lost to Rakhim Chakhkiev (Russia) 2-4
This article borrows from Russo's article in Wikipedia: []