Cristian Mijares vs. Vic Darchinyan
Revision as of 23:17, 23 April 2011 by The latin snake
2008-11-01 : Cristian Mijares 115 lbs lost to Vic Darchinyan 115 lbs by KO at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Home Depot Center, Carson, California, USA
- Referee: Lou Moret
- Judge: Pat Russell 72-79
- Judge: Jack Reiss 72-79
- Judge: Marty Denkin 72-79
- World Boxing Council Super Flyweight Title (8th defense of Mijares)
- World Boxing Association Super Flyweight Title (2nd defense of Mijares)
- International Boxing Federation Super Flyweight Title (1st defense by Darchinyan)
- Time: 3:00
- Weights: 115 lbs (both)
- Aired on: Showtime Championship Boxing
- Darchinyan was the aggressor from the outset, getting inside his fellow left-hander with big punches including a left uppercut that knocked Mijares down in the first round. With his unorthodox crouching style, Darchinyan seemed to puzzle Mijares, who was often content to counterpunch rather than attack. appeared to be rejuvenated in the seventh round, by far his most active. Mijares connected on several jabs and even egged on Darchinyan, gesturing for him to punch back. The round ended with both fighters animatedly confronting each other, but by the eighth round, Darchinyan had imposed his will for good. The bout ended with a spectacular ninth round knockout when Darchinyan laid out Mijares with a huge straight left hand.
- Mijares suffered puffs under each eye.