Name: Demetrius Andrade
Alias: Boo Boo
Birthplace: Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Hometown: Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Height: 6′ 1″ / 185cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainers: David Keefe, Paul Andrade, Virgil Hunter
Demetrius Andrade (pronounced "AN-draid") is a light middleweight boxer from the United States. He is trained by David Keefe and his father, Paul Andrade. A Providence, Rhode Island native of Cape Verdean descent, Andrade began boxing in 1994 at the age of 6. He won a gold medal in the 2002 National Silver Gloves (12-13 age category) at 112 lbs. He also competed in the 2003 (138 lbs.) and 2004 (154 lbs.) National Junior Olympics.
Andrade won the U.S. Amateur Boxing Championships in 2005, and repeated in 2006 when he also won the National Golden Gloves. He again won the National Golden Gloves in 2007, but did not compete in the U.S. Amateur Boxing Championships that year due to injury. Andrade initially struggled at the international level, losing to Eastern European opponents at the 2005 and 2006 Boxing World Cup. However, he won the silver medal at the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, losing in the gold medal match to Brazilian hometown favorite Pedro Lima by a narrow 7-6 margin.
Andrade won the gold medal at the 2007 World Amateur Boxing Championships, becoming the first American to do so since 1999, where he beat Adem Kilicci in the semifinals and then battered Manon Boonjumnong of Thailand in the finals, a match in which Andrade inflicted a standing eight-count and was leading by a score of 10-1 after only one round when Boonjumnong retired with an injury. By finishing in the top eight in his weight class, Andrade immediately qualified for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China.
- 2005 United States Amateur Welterweight Champion
- 2005 World Cup (Team Competition) participant at Welterweight in Moscow, Russia
- 2006 National Golden Gloves Welterweight Champion
- 2006 United States Amateur Welterweight Champion
- 2006 World Cup (Team Competition) participant at Middleweight in Baku, Azerbaijan
- 2007 1st Pan Am Qualifier Silver medalist at welterweight in Barquisimeto, Venezuela
- 2007 National Golden Gloves Welterweight Champion
- 2007 Welterweight Silver Medalist for the United States at the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Results were:
- 2007 Qualified as a welterweight for the United States Olympic Team.
- 2007 Welterweight Gold Medalist for the United States at the World Championships in Chicago, USA.
- 1st round - Defeated Kakhaber Zhvania (Georgia) (22-11)
- 2nd round - Defeated Dmitrijs Sostaks (Latvia) (19-3)
- 3rd round - Defeated Magomed Nurutdinov (Bulgaria) (26-6)
- Quarterfinals - Defeated Jack Culcay-Keth (Germany) (30-9)
- Semifinals - Defeated Adem Kilici (Turkey) (22-6)
- Finals - Defeated Manon Boonjumnong (Thailand) (RSCI-2)
- 2008 U.S. welterweight representative at the Olympics in Beijing, China.