Name: Deontay Wilder
Alias: The Bronze Bomber
Birth Name: Deontay Leshun Wilder
Born: 1985-10-22 (Age:29)
Birthplace: Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Hometown: Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Height: 6′ 7″ / 201cm
Reach: 83″ / 211cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Mark Breland
Managers: Shelly Finkel (-2010), Jay Deas
Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions
Deontay Wilder (b. Tuscaloosa, Ala. October 22, 1985) is an American boxer best known for winning two major amateur national titles in 2007 and for winning a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
The very tall 6'7" Wilder, who possesses a powerful right hand, hails from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He started boxing in October 2005 and seemingly came out of nowhere in 2007 (just 14 bouts going in) to upset the favorites and win both the National Golden Gloves and the U.S. Championships at 201 lbs (91 kg).
At the National Golden Gloves, he defeated highly touted Cadet World Champion Isiah Thomas, a southpaw from Detroit and David Thompson, of Brooklyn, N.Y., in the finals. At the U.S. Championships, he defeated Quantis Graves, and won the final, 31-15, over southpaw James Zimmerman of San Jose, Calif.
At the U.S. Olympic Trials, he beat Graves two more times and won the Trials with only 21 bouts. In the first round of the 2007 World Championships, he dropped a 20-23 decision to Poland's Krzysztof Zimnoch.
Early in 2008, he scored a career best win by edging out World Championships silver medalist Rakhim Chakhiyev in Russia in a Duals.
He qualified for the Olympics by beating Deivis Julio 6-5, Jorge Quinones from Ecuador on double countback, and Brazilian Rafael Lima 6-5 at the qualifier. In each bout he was trailing going into the final round.
- 2007 National Golden Gloves Heavyweight Champion
- 2007 United States Amateur Heavyweight Champion
- 2008 U.S. heavyweight representative at the Russia vs. USA Duals. Results were:
- 2008 Qualified as a heavyweight for the United States Olympic Team. Results were:
- 2007 U.S. heavyweight representative at the World Championships in Chicago, USA. Results were:
- 1st round - Lost to Krzysztof Zimnoch (Poland) (20-23)
- 2008 Heavyweight Bronze Medalist for the United States at the Olympics in Beijing, China. Results were:
- Deontay is managed by Jay Deas and formerly Shelly Finkel. He is trained by former welterweight champion Mark Breland, 'who moved from Brooklyn, New York to Northport, Alabama to train Deontay'. He is promoted by Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.
- This article borrows from Wilder's article on Wikipedia: