Donald Curry vs. Lloyd Honeyghan
Revision as of 20:07, 1 June 2012 by Earl
1986-09-27 : Donald Curry 146½ lbs lost to Lloyd Honeyghan 146½ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Caesars Hotel & Casino, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Octavio Meyran
- Judge: Jose Juan Guerra 56-59
- Judge: Larry O'Connell 56-58
- Judge: Charley Spina 56-58
WBA, WBC and IBF Welterweight Titles
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year for 1986. Curry was such a prohibitive favorite that there wasn't a betting line on the fight.
- Curry suffered a broken nose, a split lip and a very bad cut near his left eye, which was caused by an accidental headbutt in the sixth round. Two ringside physicians examined the cut after the sixth round and told the referee to stop the fight.
- Curry said he was weak from making the welterweight limit and moved up to the junior middleweight division after the fight. 
- Honeyghan vacates the WBA belt in protest against apartheid, as his WBA mandated defense was to be against South African Harold Volbrecht.