Evander Holyfield vs. Bobby Czyz
(Redirected from Fight:10606)
1996-05-10 : Evander Holyfield 211 lbs beat Bobby Czyz 211 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 5 of 10
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ron Lipton
- Judge: Melvina Lathan
- Judge: Luis Rivera
- Judge: Eva Shain
- Promoter: Main Events
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- Attendance: 17,041.
- Czyz standing 8-count in the 3rd.
- Czyz quits on stool after the 5th. He complained of a foreign substance in his eyes. He claimed someone in Holyfield's corner had put a substance on his opponent's gloves to cause burning in his eyes. Czyz complained to his corner when the fifth round ended that "my eyes are burning and I can't see." Dr. Rufus Sadler examined him and verified a vision problem. Referee Ron Lipton halted the bout, declaring Holyfield the winner by a technical knockout after the fifth round -- and then went to Holyfield's corner, took the gloves and rubbed them on his face. Nothing came off the gloves, he told Czyz.
- After 4 rounds, HBO's Harold Lederman's unofficial scorecard had Holyfield up 40-35. 
- According to Compubox, Holyfield landed 169 of 322 punches (53 percent), and Czyz connected on 112 of 317 (35 percent). 
- "Somebody put something on his gloves," Bobby Czyz charged.
- "I didn't have nothing on my glove to put on his eyes. But they're his eyes, and whatever happened, happened," countered Evander Holyfield.
- Holyfield's trainer, Don Turner, added that he used "Vaseline, that's all. Why would I do something like that?"