Jean-Baptiste Mendy vs. Stevie Johnston
1997-03-01 : Stevie Johnston 134½ lbs beat Jean-Baptiste Mendy 133½ lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Halle Georges Carpentier, Paris, Paris, France
- Referee: Jose Guadalupe Garcia
- Judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 116-113
- Judge: Angel Luis Guzman 113-114
- Judge: Jose Juan Guerra 115-113
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (1st defense by Mendy)
In a match between southpaws, the champion gave a lackluster performance and also had a point deducted for butting in the fifth following a clash of heads which left Johnston badly cut over the left eye. Whatever Mendy tried in the opening four rounds did not seem to work against a smaller man who stepped around him, jabbing from head to body, and generally dictated matters. Undoubtedly Mendy won the sixth and seventh as Johnston took a breather and he came again to share the spoils during the last three sessions, but it was not enough.
- Jean-Baptiste Mendy 49-5-2 (30 KOs) vs. Stevie Johnston 20-0 (13 KOs)
- Johnston was the mandatory challenger for Mendy.
- At 34, Mendy was ten years older than Johnston.