Erik Morales vs. Pablo Cesar Cano
(Redirected from Fight:1622651)
2011-09-17 : Erik Morales 140 lbs beat Pablo Cesar Cano 140 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 10 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Kenny Bayless
- Judge: Tom Miller
- Judge: Dave Moretti
- Judge: Richard Ocasio
- Fourth world title for more experienced Morales by stopping the undefeated 21 year old Cano (21-0-1) on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather versus Victor Ortiz
- Corner stoppage by Cano's corner to referee Kenny Bayless, with blood streaming from the left eye of Cano, and both of Cano's eye's completely swollen shut.
- First two rounds were a slow start, perhaps Cano won them. From then on Morales had the fight won on the cards hands down, and the outcome was never in doubt.
- Patient, meticulous performance by a well conditioned Morales, calmly staying in front of Cano, using consistent fast head jabs to pick apart Cano's defenses.
- Cano was a late substitute opponent for Lucas Martin Matthysse in this WBC vacant world light welterweight title fight, who pulled out of the bout.
- Ringside doctor gave Cano another chance midway through the tenth round-when bout could have been stopped due to Cano's swollen eyes and bad left eye cut.
- Clean bout by both fighters, with the referee mostly invisible.
- Bout broadcast live worldwide from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.