Rico Ramos vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux
2012-01-20 : Rico Ramos 122 lbs lost to Guillermo Rigondeaux 120½ lbs by KO at 1:29 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Palms Casino Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd
- Judge: Burt A. Clements
- Judge: Richard Houck
- Aired On: ShoBox: The New Generation (Main Event)
- World Boxing Association World Super Bantamweight Title (1st defense by Ramos)
- Rico Ramos 20-0 (11 KOs) vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux 8-0 (6 KOs)
- Ramos, a 3.25/1 betting underdog , entered as the # 2 junior featherweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Rigondeaux was ranked # 6 by the same publication.
- The bout was originally scheduled for December 31, 2011 as a co-feature to an IBF light heavyweight title bout between champion Tavoris Cloud and Zsolt Erdei but was rescheduled as Erdei suffered a hand injury.
- Among those in attendance were Floyd Mayweather Jr., Antonio Tarver, Andre Ward and baseball's Pete Rose.
- Total Punches: Rigondeaux 35-143, Ramos 15-114.
Rigondeaux controlled the opening round against a tentative Ramos. He quickly moving into range and fired the left hand both to the body and upstairs. A straight left hand caught Ramos against the ropes and sent him down at 2:24 of the opening round. He was up quickly and received a mandatory eight-count. Rigondeaux attacked but Ramos gathered himself and finished the round. Output waned in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds both fighters looked for countering opportunities with neither seeming overly willing to open up. An accidental clash of heads opened a small cut on the outside of Ramos's left eyebrow near the end of Round 4. Rigondeaux was warned in Round 6 for pulling down the back of Ramos's head. Immediately after the warning, Rigondeaux came forward with a barrage and landed a clean left hand to the body that sent Ramos to the mat grimacing in pain. He remained down on his back as the referee reached the count of ten.