Antonio Cervantes vs. Carlos Maria Gimenez (2nd meeting)
1977-06-25 : Antonio Cervantes 139¼ lbs beat Carlos Maria Gimenez 139¼ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 5 of 15
- Location: Palaza de Toros Monumental, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- Referee: Marty Denkin
- Judge: Ernesto Magana
- Judge: Larry Rozadilla
Gimenez cut over eye and not out for 6th
"Columbia's Antonio 'Kid Pambele' Cervantes captured the vacant WBA junior welterweight title Saturday night scoring a TKO victory over Argentina's Carlos Gimenez. The Columbian's victory came after referee Marty Denkin of the USA, stopped the fight at the end of the 5th round due to a cut over Gimenez' right eye. The decision prompted minutes of disorder as several spectators stormed the ring. Pambele cut his rival in the 3rd round when he connected a solid left jab during a flurry of exchanges." -Associated Press
- Former champion Wilfredo Benitez was stripped of his 140 lb. title for refusing to defend his title against Cervantes.
- Gimenez' manager Tito Lectoure was so upset by referee Marty Denkin's decision that he physically attacked him in the ring when the stoppage was rendered.
Post fight comments
- "The referee has been dishonest. There was no reason to stop the fight because during the whole round there was no bleeding." -Tito Lectoure
- "They have no dignity. How can they do that to me?" -Carlos Gimenez
- "The decision by the referee was a good one because Gimenez had a big cut." -Antonio Cervantes