Ezzard Charles vs. Gus Lesnevich
(Redirected from Fight:17160)
1949-08-10 : Ezzard Charles 178 lbs beat Gus Lesnevich 182 lbs by RTD in round 7 of 15
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein
- National Boxing Association World Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Charles)
- Photo #2
- Program cover
- A crowd of 16,630 produced a gross gate of $75,832.
- Radio rights were $17,500.
- Lesnevich's corner refused to let him come out for the eighth round.
- United Press reported: "Lesnevich, former world light heavyweight champion, could scarcely see out of either eye, and he was bleeding from gashes above and below his right eye and from a gash on his left cheek at the end of the seventh round."
- The Associated Press reported: "Most everybody, including the judges, had Charles out front 6-1 in rounds at the end."