Devon Alexander vs. Lee Purdy
2013-05-18 : Devon Alexander 146¾ lbs beat Lee Purdy 147¾ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 7 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: David Fields
- Judge: Waleska Roldan
- Judge: Phil Edwards
- Judge: John Poturaj
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Showtime, Sky Sports (UK)
- Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions
Despite suffering an injury to his left hand in the opening round, Devon Alexander cruised against a defensive-minded Lee Purdy.
From the outset, Alexander threw combinations as Purdy pressed forward with his gloves high and wholly covered. Purdy, whose nose was bloodied in the third, seemed content to prove that Alexander could not hurt him and mounted very little offensively.
After the seventh round and with their fighter likely having been shutout on the scorecards, Purdy's corner asked the referee to stop the fight. It was the first knockout loss for Purdy, who cried when his corner decided to end it.
- Devon Alexander 24-1 (13 KOs) vs. Lee Purdy 20-3-1 (13 KOs)
- Alexander entered as the #9 ranked welterweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Purdy, a 13.5-to-1 underdog, was unranked by the same publication.  
- Alexander was originally scheduled to fight Kell Brook 29-0 (19 KOs), who withdrew on April 15th citing a foot injury. It was the third time the fight was postponed between the two. It was initially scheduled to take place on Jan. 19 in Los Angeles, but Brook suffered an ankle injury and the fight was postponed. It was rescheduled for Feb. 23 in Detroit, but Alexander suffered a severely strained right biceps, causing it to be delayed until May 18. On April 19th, four days after Brook's withdrawal, Lee Purdy was announced as the challenger.
- It was the first fight for Purdy outside of the United Kingdom.
- The contest was originally set to be Alexander's first defense of his IBF Welterweight Title, but Purdy came in overweight forcing it to be a non-title bout. Purdy too was fined $15,000 of his purse. The IBF however said that, with Alexander's win, his mandatory obligation has been fulfilled.
- Alexander earned $700,000 for the bout, while Purdy made $135,000 after his fine.