Jhonatan Romero vs. Kiko Martinez
2013-08-17 : Jhonatan Romero 121½ lbs lost to Kiko Martinez 121½ lbs by TKO at 2:40 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Revel Resort, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: David Fields
- Judge: George Hill
- Judge: Ron McNair
- Judge: Robin Taylor
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark
- International Boxing Federation Super Bantamweight Title (1st defense by Romero)
Spaniard Kiko Martinez pressed forward and punched his way to a world title by stopping undefeated IBF super bantamweight champion Jhonatan Romero in the sixth round in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Martinez charged out from the opening bell winging wide power punches. A left hand caught Romero against the ropes midway through the first round and had him in some trouble.
Romero came out in the second and wanted to box and move, but was unable to keep the Spaniard at bay. Martinez repeatedly snapped back the head of the champion with power punches.
A clash of heads opened a sizable cut to Romero's left eye in the fourth.
The end came in the sixth round, when a series of shots hurt Romero and wobbled him. Martinez landed a combination to the head with Romero trapped in a corner and the referee stepped in and waved an end to the bout with the champion bloodied and badly staggered.
- Jhonatan Romero 23-0 (12 KOs) vs. Kiko Martinez 28-4 (20 KOs)
- Fight was on the undercard of Daniel Geale vs. Darren Barker.
- Romero entered as the #7 jr. featherweight contender in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Martinez, a 4.5-to-1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication. Guillermo Rigondeaux was recognized as the junior featherweight champion at the time of the bout.