Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Kid Gavilan (2nd meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:18272)
1949-07-11 : Kid Gavilan 144½ lbs lost to Sugar Ray Robinson 147 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Municipal Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Charley Daggert 6-9
- Judge: Frank Knaresborough 3-12
- Judge: Harry Lasky 6-9
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 4-11
- Unofficial Reading Eagle scorecard: 6-9
- World Welterweight Championship (4th defense by Robinson)
- Photo #2, Photo #3
- Robinson was a 2-1 favorite.
- A crowd of 27,805 produced a gross gate of $175,754. Robinson collected 40 percent of a net gate of $128,435 and Gavilan received 18½ percent.
- Robinson suffered a cut over his right eye in the fourth round, but the champion brought blood from the challenger's nose from the sixth round on.
- Associated Press staff writer Hugh Fullerton, Jr. wrote, "For the first seven rounds against a younger and finely-conditioned opponent, Sugar Ray knew he had been in a fight. Then he stepped out to show he was the boss and he did it expertly. Gavilan never stopped trying, but after the seventh round that was about all he could do."