2013-12-14 : Keith Thurman 145¾ lbs beat Jesus Soto Karass 146¼ lbs by TKO at 2:21 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- Referee: Jon Schorle
- Judge: Don Griffin 79-72
- Judge: Alfredo Polanco 78-73
- Judge: Javier Alvarez 80-71
- Fought for Interim WBA World Welterweight title
- Thurman moved side to side for defense, and let his shots go with loaded up style. Karass landed some good shots in the first round, but Thurman landed most power shots from that point on. Soto Karass showed heart, guts and courage and would not go despite taking brutal damage he kept coming forward. An off balance Soto Karass was down in the fifth round from a straight punch thrown by Thurman. Finally, overhand left and right hook power shots in the ninth round slumped Soto Karass backward, who was caught by the referee who prevented his head from hitting the canvas and signaled the end of the bout. Thurman boxed patiently, cautiously and smartly, pacing himself and respecting Soto Karass' hand power despite Soto Karass' lack of hand speed. Perfect stoppage and reaction by referee Jon Schorle, who gave Soto Karass every chance to continue till that point.