Rocky Lockridge vs. Wilfredo Gomez
(Redirected from Fight:18417)
1985-05-19 : Wilfredo Gomez 129 lbs beat Rocky Lockridge 128½ lbs by MD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Coliseo Roberto Clemente, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Referee: Isidro Rodriguez
- Judge: Marcos A. Torres 145-143
- Judge: Guy Jutras 144-144
- Judge: Humberto Figueroa 145-144
- World Boxing Association Super Featherweight Title (3rd defense by Lockridge)
- Lockridge made $275,000 and Gomez $200,000.
- NBC color commentator Dr. Ferdie Pacheco scored the fight 145-139 for Lockridge
- The Associated Press reported: "For Gomez, 28 years old, it was a stirring victory and marked his third world title. He took charge as the 11th round was drawing to a close. In the middle of the 10th round, Lockridge, 26, from Paterson, N.J., almost knocked Gomez to the canvas and brought blood to his mouth by the end of the round. But after the 11th, Gomez outboxed Lockridge by staying on the outside, then coming in close for rapid combinations. Lockridge was unable from the 11th round on to land his stinging right and left hands, with which he had dominated earlier."
- Ocala Star-Banner sports editor Vince Murray wrote: "Wilfredo Gomez' decision over Rocky Lockridge Sunday has to rank as the stinko of the year. . . . I gave Lockridge rounds: 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 15. Gomez took 3, 11, 12, and 14 with 4, 5, 9, and 14 even on my card — 146-143. Even a split in the even rounds would have had Gomez losing the fight by three points, 144-141 on my scorecard. There's just no way Gomez won that fight."