Tommy Loughran vs. Jack Sharkey (2nd meeting)
1933-09-27 : Tommy Loughran 183 lbs beat Jack Sharkey 202 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Shibe Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Spud Murphy 6-6
- Judge: Herman Weingrad 7-4
- Judge: Al Voice 6-7
"After waiting four years, Tommy Loughran of Philadelphia, last night avenged a knockout by winning a 15 round decision over Jack Sharkey of Boston at the Phillies Ball Park. Loughran's margin was desperately close and many of the critics, counting the astonishing knockdown in the 10th merely as an incident in one round, gave Sharkey an edge over the route. But narrow and controversial, though the margin was, it was enough to count the Boston sailor out of the heavyweight picture. Sharkey opened a gash over Loughran's right eye in the 1st round with a hard left hook, and it bled intermittently throughout the bout. Loughran's darting left jab and his dancing skill kept him away from Sharkey's vicious rights, although Sharkey rallied brilliantly in the last three rounds." United Press
- Billed as Pennsylvania's first 15 round fight.
- After a "drab fight" one judge had it 7-4-4 for Loughran, the other 7-6-2 for Sharkey while the referee had it a draw (6-6-3) but, as the rules then allowed, gave his decision for Loughran. New York Times
- Although Referee John 'Spud' Murphy scored the bout a draw (6-6-3), he leaned toward Tommy because of a clean knockdown with a right hand flush to the jaw as Sharkey was charging in.
- Unofficial UP scorecard: 7-6-2 Sharkey