Deontay Wilder vs. Eric Molina
(Redirected from Fight:1977486)
2015-06-13 : Deontay Wilder 229 lbs beat Eric Molina 239¼ lbs by KO at 1:03 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Bartow Arena, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
- Referee: Jack Reiss
- Judge: Irwin Deutsch 90-77
- Judge: Keith Hughes 89-78
- Judge: Juan Carlos Pelayo 89-78
- Attendance: 9,347
- Aired On: Showtime (Main Event)
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Wilder)
- For WBC World Heavyweight title. First heavyweight title fight held in the state of Alabama, native to Evander Holyfield (who was in attendance), Earnie Shavers and Joe Louis. Molina sought to become the first Mexican-American World Heavyweight champion in history.
- The 6'7" inch Wilder got tested by the 50 to 1 odds underdog Molina. Wilder dominated, knocking down Molina near the end of round four, twice in the fifth, and knocking him out on his back in the ninth round. Molina actually won two rounds, and pursued his counter strategy of landing damaging power body shots whenever Wilder came in to try to tire Wilder and break him down, and also throwing uppercuts. Molina loaded up on the right hand all night, and staggered Wilder once but could not get close enough to follow up. Molina had no jab, and Wilder made him eat 75 jabs.
- To his credit, Molina gave a courageous accounting of himself and the best performance of his career. Molina had no answer, though, for Wilder's power shots, which caused maximum damage when they landed. Wilder boxed patiently for several more rounds waiting for the right moment, and upon finding it landed a right hand coup de grace, sending Molina down and out on his back for the full count, and the bout was over.
- Wilder had respect for Molina after the bout, stating "I was really surprised he kept coming and hanging in there. A lot of people said he wouldn't even be around, he wouldn't last. There were a lot of doubters, but he showed a lot of heart, and I needed that kind of guy to fight here in Alabama."
- Molina attempted to join Bernard Hopkins, Mike Weaver and others who lost their pro debuts, but went on to win a world title.
- CompuBox Championship Statistics: jabs-Wilder 71 of 185 42%, Molina 6 of 72 8%, power punches-Wilder 66 of 118 56% Molina 43 of 116 37%, total punches-Wilder 141 of 303 47% Molina 49 of 188 26%
Wilder vs. Stiverne
| WBC Heavyweight Title Fight
Wilder vs. Duhaupas