Joe Louis vs. Abe Simon (2nd meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:19837)
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Eddie Joseph
- World Heavyweight Championship (21st defense by Louis)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4
- See also: Joe Louis vs. Abe Simon (1st meeting)
- Louis was a 15-1 betting favorite.
- There was a crowd of 18,220.
- The gross gate was $132,420, and the net was $114,705.
- The fight raised $64,980.02 for the Army Emergency Relief Fund. Louis donated his entire purse of $36,146. Promoter Mike Jacobs and Madison Square Garden contributed $25,131.85, and Simon gave $3,012.17.
- Simon was floored late in rounds two and five, and he was saved by the bell each time. Simon was dropped again early in the sixth round and counted out by referee Eddie Joseph. Simon protested the stoppage, insisting he was up at the count of nine.
- This was Louis' first professional fight without trainer Jack Blackburn, who was hospitalized in Chicago. Blackburn would die the following month.
- Due to his Army service during World War II, Louis wouldn't defend his title again for four years and three months.