Joe Louis vs. Lee Savold
(Redirected from Fight:19864)
1951-06-15 : Joe Louis 211¼ lbs beat Lee Savold 190 lbs by KO at 2:29 in round 6 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein
- Judge: Frank Forbes
- Judge: Harold Barnes
- The fight was originally scheduled to take place outdoors at the Polo Grounds on June 13. However, after two postponements due to rain, the fight was moved indoors to Madison Square Garden.
- A crowd of 18,170 paid $94,684.
- Louis entered the fight as a 2-1 betting favorite. 
- The Associated Press reported: "It was strictly a one-sided battle all the way as Louis snapped Savold's head back with jarring left jabs and belted him to the head and body with short rights and uppercuts. From the second round on Savold gushed blood from his nose. Only in the fifth, when he shook the Bomber with two overhand rights to the head, did the Englewood (N.J.) veteran inflict any damage. Louis said the rights did not bother him. 'I knew what I was doing all the time,' said Louis. He sure showed it in the sixth. He ripped away at Savold with both hands and did something he could not accomplish in his five previous victories. He put away Savold with a right to the body and as beautiful a left hook to the jaw as you will ever see." 
- Savold entered the fight recognized as World Heavyweight Champion by the British Boxing Board of Control. After Louis knocked him out, the organization decided to recognize Ezzard Charles, who had decisively defeated Louis the previous year, as the Heavyweight Champion of the World.