Joe Louis vs. Jimmy Bivins
(Redirected from Fight:19866)
1951-08-15 : Joe Louis 203 lbs beat Jimmy Bivins 180 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Referee: Eddie Leonard 7-3
- Judge: Lee Halfpenny 6-3
- Judge: Bill Ellis 6-3
- Louis was a 4-1 betting favorite.
- There was a crowd of 18,215.
- The gross gate was $75,217, and the net was $57,782.
- Louis received 42½ percent of the net, and Bivins got 17½ percent.
- The fight was beamed to 15 theaters in eight cities outside Baltimore.
- The Associated Press reported: "Always chasing his retreating foe, Louis never was able to explode the bomb he carried in the days when he held the heavyweight title. . . . Bivins did little but retreat and flick his left. Only occasionally did he bull inside or chance a hard punch. Too often he was wild."
- The referee took the tenth round from Louis for a low blow.
- The Associated Press scored the fight 7-3 for Louis.
- This was the last victory of Louis' career.
- In the Holiday 1998 issue of The Ring, Louis was ranked as the 2nd greatest heavyweight off all-time and Bivins was ranked 26th.