Willie Pep vs. Sal Bartolo (2nd meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:20995)
1943-06-08 : Willie Pep 126 lbs beat Sal Bartolo 125½ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Braves Field, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Referee: Johnny Martin
- Judge: Joe Blumsack
- Judge: Eddie Bradley
- NYSAC World Featherweight Championship (1st defense by Pep)
- Pep was a 2-1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of about 14,000.
- Gross gate receipts were $46,984.30, and the net was $42,713.
- Pep was guaranteed $30,000, and Bartolo received 12½ percent of the net gate.
- The Associated Press reported:
- Although Pep and Bartolo had put on a sizzling overweight match here in April, their return engagement was so one-sided it became monotonous long before they reached the 15th and final round. Pep kept Bartolo at bay with his stinging left jabs throughout and his highly polished footwork carried him out of danger almost every time the Bostonian tried to close in. Pep, who was on the verge of a knockout in the sixth round of his first bout with Bartolo, was so cautious getting underway Tuesday night he was held even in the first two rounds. He won all the others, however. Despite the one-sided action, both battlers finished fresh and only slightly damaged.