Randy Turpin vs. Sugar Ray Robinson (2nd meeting)
(Redirected from Fight:23532)
1951-09-12 : Sugar Ray Robinson 157½ lbs beat Randolph Turpin 159 lbs by TKO at 2:52 in round 10 of 15
- Location: Polo Grounds, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein 4-4
- Judge: Joe Agnello 5-4
- Judge: Harold Barnes 5-3
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 4-4
- Unofficial UP scorecard: 4-3
- World Middleweight Championship (1st defense by Turpin)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5
- A crowd of 61,370 produced a gate of $767,630.
- Movie rights were $200,000 and theater television rights were $25,000.
- Robinson's share was 30% (approximately $230,000) and Turpin's share was 25% (approximately $210,000).
- Robinson opened as a 12-5 betting favorite. The odds were 2-1 the day before the fight.
- Turpin won rounds eight and nine on all three scorecards and opened a bad gash over Robinson's left eye in the tenth.
- Robinson dropped Turpin with a right to the jaw in the tenth. After getting up at the count of nine, Turpin was battered along the ropes until the referee stopped the fight.
- Robinson: "After my eye got cut, it was do or die. I didn't want to take any chances with the referee stopping the fight."
- Turpin: "The referee should not have stopped it. I was perfectly keen. There were only eight seconds to go in the round, and I was covering up."