Vitali Klitschko vs. Chris Byrd
(Redirected from Fight:23661)
2000-04-01 : Chris Byrd 210¾ lbs beat Vitali Klitschko 244¼ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Estrel Convention Center, Neukoelln, Berlin, Germany
- Referee: Genaro Rodriguez
- Judge: Melvina Lathan 83-88
- Judge: Dr Ruben M Garcia 82-89
- Judge: Joachim Jacobsen 83-88
- World Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Klitschko)
- Promoter: Universum Box-Promotion
- Byrd, in training for a fight against Lawrence Clay-Bey, took the fight on ten days notice after the original challenger, Donovan "Razor" Ruddock, pulled out due to a hepatitis infection.
- Klitschko retired on his stool after the ninth round due to a shoulder injury. He was later diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff.
- After Klitschko quit, HBO commentator Larry Merchant said, "He doesn’t have the mentality of a champion. I can hardly believe what I just saw."
- Harold Lederman, HBO's unofficial judge, had Klitschko ahead 88-83 at the time of the stoppage.
- Klitschko landed 132 of 502 total punches (26%) and 115 of 326 power shots (35%). Byrd connected on 124 of 284 total punches (44%) and 82 of 163 power shots (50%).
V. Klitschko vs. Sullivan
| WBO Heavyweight Title Fight
Byrd vs. W. Klitschko I