Jerry Quarry vs. Thad Spencer
1968-02-03 : Jerry Quarry 193 lbs beat Thad Spencer 200½ lbs by TKO at 2:57 in round 12 of 12
- Location: Oakland Arena, Oakland, California, USA
- Referee: Jack Downey
- Judge: Dick Young
- Judge: Rudy Ortega
- WBA Heavyweight Elimination Tournament
"Jerry Quarry, who has been fighting as a professional less than three years, moved one step nearer the world heavyweight championship when he stopped Thad Spencer in the 12th and last round Saturday in their semifinal match of the WBA elimination tournament. Quarry floored Spencer, who had entered the ring as a 7-5 favorite, in the 4th and 10th rounds. The end came after Quarry unleashed a furious barrage to the head with only seconds remaining. Spencer took a smashing right to the chin, wobbled and attempted to grab Quarry, only to be met by a rain of lefts and rights to the head. He stumbled against the ropes and was staggering when referee Jack Downey intervened with three seconds remaining." - Associated Press.
- Spencer rated #2 by The Ring Magazine at the time.
- Attendance: 12,110.
- Gate: $115,210.00.
- Purses: both fighters received $75,000 apiece.
- Official Scorecards (through 11 completed rounds - all for Quarry):
- Referee Jack Downey: 7-6
- Judge Dick Young: 9-4
- Judge Rudy Ortega: 7-3
- Unofficial Scorecards:
- AP: 6-5 Quarry;
- UPI: 8-3 Quarry;
- Hayward Daily Review: 9-4 Quarry.
- Official Souvenir Program Cover.
- "I just fought a smart fight and it paid off. I told everybody I'd prove I was faster than he was. I knocked him down with the right, which they said I didn't have." - Jerry Quarry.
- "I think this surprised everybody. Some knowledgable boxing people were predicting a $60,000 gate." - Promoter Don Chargin, on the Oakland Coliseum as the possible site of the tournament final.
- "I'm no timekeeper. I couldn't let it go another three seconds." - Referee Jack Downey, on stopping it at 2:57 of the final round.