Pernell Whitaker vs. Azumah Nelson
(Redirected from Fight:4311)
1990-05-19 : Pernell Whitaker 135 lbs beat Azumah Nelson 134 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Harry Gibbs 116-114
- Judge: Sid Nathan 115-113
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 116-111
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (2nd defense by Whitaker)
- International Boxing Federation Lightweight Title (4th defense by Whitaker)
- Whitaker was a 3-1 favorite.
- The fight took place at the Caesars Palace Sports Pavilion.
- In the final round, Whitaker lifted Nelson's leg with his right and tapped him on the head with his left. Referee Mills Lane was not amused and deducted a point from Whitaker.
- Whitaker landed 464 of 989 punches (47%) and Nelson connected on 179 of 739 (24%).
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 117-110 Whitaker