John Ruiz vs. Roy Jones Jr.
(Redirected from Fight:525909)
2003-03-01 : Roy Jones Jr 193 lbs beat John Ruiz 226 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Jerry Roth 116-112
- Judge: Stanley Christodoulou 118-110
- Judge: Duane Ford 117-111
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 116-112 Jones
- Unofficial HBO judge Harold Lederman scorecard: 119-109 Jones
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Ruiz)
- Promoter: Don King Productions
- Aired on: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)
- Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4
- Jones was guaranteed $10 million against 60% of the profits. Ruiz had no guarantee. He received 40% of the profits, which he had to share with promoter Don King.
- Jones was a 9-5 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 15,300.
- Jones landed 134 of 424 punches (32%) and Ruiz connected on 89 of 433 (21%).
- "Roy Jones fights at heavyweight" was named The Ring Event of the Year for 2003.
- Jones became the seventh boxer in history to win world titles in four weight divisions.
- Jones became the first former world middleweight titlist since Bob Fitzsimmons in 1897 to win a world heavyweight title.
- Jones never defended the WBA heavyweight title. He relinquished the belt and returned to the light heavyweight division.
- According to Mark Taffet, HBO’s Senior Vice-President of Sports Operations and Pay-Per-View, the fight generated 602,000 pay-per-view buys. The figure was originally reported to be 525,000 buys.
Ruiz vs. Johnson
| WBA Heavyweight Title Fight
Ruiz vs. Rahman