Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
Revision as of 20:33, 9 August 2009 by Sweetscientist
2009-09-19 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 146 lbs beat Juan Manuel Marquez 142 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 120-107
- Judge: Dave Moretti 119-108
- Judge: Bill Lerch 118-109
Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Number One/Numero Uno" (Main Event)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 39-0 (25 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 50-4-1 (37 KOs)
- For Mayweather Jr., it was his first bout in a year an nine months following his temporary retirement. Marquez was coming off his world title knockout victory over Juan Diaz seven months earlier.
- The fight, originally scheduled for July 18th, was postponed due to a rib injury suffered by Mayweather Jr.
- During training for the bout, Mayweather Jr.'s uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather was arrested on felony coercion and battery-strangulation charges at a Las Vegas apartment in an attack on a female boxer he once trained.
- Reports indicated that Mayweather Jr. would earn $15 million for the bout.