Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
Revision as of 04:42, 10 August 2009 by Sweetscientist
2009-09-19 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 146 lbs beat Juan Manuel Marquez 142 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 120-107
- Judge: Dave Moretti 119-108
- Judge: Bill Lerch 118-109
Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Number One/Numero Uno" (Main Event)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 39-0 (25 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 50-4-1 (37 KOs)
- For Mayweather Jr., it was his first bout in a year an nine months following his temporary retirement. Marquez was coming off his world title knockout victory over Juan Diaz seven months earlier.
- The fight, originally scheduled for July 18th, was postponed due to a rib injury suffered by Mayweather Jr.
- During training for the bout, Mayweather Jr.'s uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather was arrested on felony coercion and battery-strangulation charges at a Las Vegas apartment in an attack on a female boxer he once trained.
- Reports indicated that Mayweather Jr. would earn $15 million for the bout.
- "So much for truth in advertising: Number One, Numero Uno. We all know who the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter is and his name is Manny Pacquiao. They can call Mayweather-Marquez ‘No. 1,’ but it smells like No. 2. The fight stinks. Two counter-punchers waiting for the other one to make the first move is boring and proves nothing. If Mayweather wanted to prove he was the best, all he had to do was wait one day and see who won Pacquiao-Hatton before signing to fight Marquez. You might as well rename him Fraud Mayweather Jr." - Freddie Roach