From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions and both Mayweather and Marquez Promotions
Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Number One/Numero Uno" (Main Event)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 39-0 (25 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 50-4-1 (37 KOs)
- For Mayweather Jr., it was his first bout in a year an nine months following his temporary retirement. Marquez was coming off his world title knockout victory over Juan Diaz seven months earlier.
- The fight, originally scheduled for July 18th, was postponed due to a rib injury suffered by Mayweather Jr.
- In buildup for the fight, HBO aired it's series "24/7" in which it briefly chronicled the two fighters' training and preparations for the bout. In episode three, Marquez was shown to be allegedly drinking his own urine. He said it was something he had done for the last five or six fights because he felt it was a way to recycle important vitamins and proteins and as he said, "...why not drink them again instead of wasting them."
- During training for the bout, Mayweather Jr.'s uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather was arrested on felony coercion and battery-strangulation charges at a Las Vegas apartment in an attack on a female boxer he once trained.
- Reports indicated that Mayweather Jr. would earn $15 million for the bout.