Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
Revision as of 05:07, 18 September 2009 by Sweetscientist
2009-09-19 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 146 lbs beat Juan Manuel Marquez 142 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 120-107
- Judge: Dave Moretti 119-108
- Judge: Bill Lerch 118-109
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 39-0 (25 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 50-4-1 (37 KOs)
- For Mayweather Jr., it was his first bout in a year and nine months following his temporary retirement. Marquez was coming off his world title knockout victory over Juan Diaz seven months earlier.
- The fight, originally scheduled for July 18th, was postponed due to a rib injury suffered by Mayweather Jr.
- In buildup for the fight, HBO aired it's series "24/7" in which it briefly chronicled the two fighters' training and preparations for the bout. In episode three, Marquez was shown to be allegedly drinking his own urine. He said it was something he had done for the last five or six fights because he felt it was a way to recycle important vitamins and proteins and as he said, "...why not drink them again instead of wasting them."
- During training for the bout, Mayweather Jr.'s uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather was arrested on felony coercion and battery-strangulation charges at a Las Vegas apartment in an attack on a female boxer he once trained.
- Reports indicated that Mayweather Jr. would earn $15 million for the bout.