Difference between revisions of "Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[File:Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto (poster).jpg|thumb|right|
[[File:Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto (poster).jpg|thumb|right||Official Fight Poster]]
*'''Ring Announcer:''' [[Michael Buffer]]
*'''Ring Announcer:''' [[Michael Buffer]]
Revision as of 04:53, 6 May 2012
2012-05-05 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 151 lbs beat Miguel Cotto 154 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Robert Hoyle 118-110
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 117-111
- Judge: Dave Moretti 117-111
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Promoters: Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Ring Kings"
- World Boxing Association Super World Light Middleweight Title (3rd defense by Cotto)
- WBC Diamond Light Middleweight Title (vacant)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 42-0 (26 KOs) vs. Miguel Cotto 37-2 (30 KOs)
- Mayweather entered as the # 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world and the # 2 welterweight according to The Ring Magazine. Cotto, a 4.5/1 betting underdog, was ranked as the # 1 junior middleweight by the same publication.  
- For Mayweather, it was only the second time in his professional career he had fought at the 154 pound limit. In his previous bout at 154, which was five years to the day earlier, he earned a split-decision over Oscar De La Hoya for the WBC Light Middleweight Title. it was Cotto's fourth fight at 154 lbs.
- At 151 lbs., Mayweather was fighting at the heaviest weight of his professional career to date.
- The purse for the bout was split 65/35 in favor of Mayweather, with Mayweather to receive a guaranteed $32 million.
- Ticket prices for the event ranged from $200 to $1,500,
- As part of the pre-fight buildup, HBO aired its "24/7" series which documented some of the training of the fighters leading up to the bout.
- The price of the pay-per-view was $59.95. It was also shown in 440 theaters, most of which charged about $20 per person.  
- It was the eighth overall, and fifth consecutive fight for Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. It too was the eighth overall appearance for Cotto at this venue.
- Among the many notables in attendance were Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Bernard Hopkins, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Oscar De La Hoya.
- Mayweather wore red leather trunks with white trim and red gloves. Cotto wore black trunks with pink and white trim, black gloves and long pink socks.
- ESPN's Dan Rafael scored the bout 116-112 in favor of Mayweather.
Mayweather likely earned the opening round working behind a jab, with movement and stingy defense. Cotto, the crowd favorite, came forward, looked to get in close, but struggled to land. Mayweather continued to out land Cotto in Round 2, with Cotto at one point picking up Mayweather while the two were clinched. Cotto had an improved Round 3 one which could have been scored for either man. By the end of Round 3, Cotto had noticeable bruising on his left temple. Mayweather threw some looping right hands in Round 4, many of which landed on the gloves of Cotto. The round closed with Mayweather fighting with his back in the corner and the two slipping and trading punches. Round 5 was fought mostly in close quarters with Mayweather controlling much of the action, before Cotto came on in the final 30 seconds with some decent work to the body. Cotto perhaps had his best round so far and landed well in Round 6 as Mayweather had begun to bleed from the nose and mouth. Cotto had developed some bruising under his right eye by the end of the round. Mayweather likely picked up Round 7 with a higher work rate as Cotto pursued but landed sparingly. The two fought much of Round 8 in close with Cotto having success with combinations. Mayweather looked to slip and roll punches but did very little offensively and appeared somewhat worse-for-wear at the end of the round continuing to bleed from the nose. Neither man necessarily controlled the 9th Round as Cotto pursued but landed infrequently and Mayweather threw when Cotto was at a distance. Mayweather continued to move in the 10th and threw combinations from a distance. Cotto looked to steal the round and landed some punches in the final 30 seconds. Cotto came forward in Round 11, but struggled to land against Mayweather's movement. Mayweather worked over a game Cotto in the final round with some clean power shots as Cotto stood in front of him with his gloves up.