Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto
2012-05-05 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 151 lbs beat Miguel Cotto 154 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Robert Hoyle 118-110
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 117-111
- Judge: Dave Moretti 117-111
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Promoters: Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions
- Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View "Ring Kings"
- World Boxing Association Super World Light Middleweight Title (3rd defense by Cotto)
- WBC Diamond Light Middleweight Title (vacant)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. 42-0 (26 KOs) vs. Miguel Cotto 37-2 (30 KOs)
- Mayweather entered as the # 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world and the # 2 welterweight according to The Ring Magazine. Cotto, a 4.5/1 betting underdog, was ranked as the # 1 junior middleweight by the same publication.  
- For Mayweather, it was only the second time in his professional career he had fought at the 154 pound limit. In his previous bout at 154, which was five years to the day earlier, he earned a split-decision over Oscar De La Hoya for the WBC Light Middleweight Title. it was Cotto's fourth fight at 154 lbs.
- At 151 lbs., Mayweather was fighting at the heaviest weight of his professional career to date.
- The purse for the bout was split 65/35 in favor of Mayweather, with Mayweather to receive a guaranteed $32 million.
- Ticket prices for the event ranged from $200 to $1,500,
- As part of the pre-fight buildup, HBO aired its "24/7" series which documented some of the training of the fighters leading up to the bout.
- The price of the pay-per-view was $59.95. It was also shown in 440 theaters, most of which charged about $20 per person.  
- It was the eighth overall, and fifth consecutive fight for Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. It too was the eighth overall appearance for Cotto at this venue.
- Among the many notables in attendance were Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Bernard Hopkins, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Oscar De La Hoya.
- Mayweather wore red leather trunks with white trim and red gloves. Cotto wore black trunks with pink and white trim with black gloves and long pink socks.
Mayweather likely earned the opening round working behind a jab, with movement and stingy defense. Cotto came forward, looked to get in close, but struggled to land. Mayweather continued to out land Cotto in Round 2, with Cotto at one point picking up Mayweather while the two were clinched. Cotto had an improved Round 3 one which could have been scored for either man. By the end of Round 3, Cotto had noticeable bruising on his left temple. Mayweather threw some looping right hands in Round 4, many of which landed on the gloves of Cotto. The round closed with Mayweather fighting with his back in the corner and the slipping and trading punches. Round 5 was fought mostly in close quarters with Mayweather controlling much of the action, before Cotto came on in the final 30 seconds.